Money Matters presented by United Fidelity Bank
You’re going on vacation, and you know you’re going to spend money. So what’s safer to carry – plastic or cash?
Experts say plastic, because credit and debit cards have built-in protections if they are lost or stolen.
Here are some tips:
- Contact your card issuer and tell them when and where you’ll be traveling. That helps keep credit and debit cards from being shut down as a potential fraud concern if they are used in unexpected locations.
- Keep track of the toll-free numbers on the back of your cards so you can report lost or stolen cards quickly.
- Make copies of your cards and securely store them or leave them with a trusted family member in case you need access to the card numbers.
- Consider carrying more than one credit card. You’ll have a spare if one is lost, stolen or rejected, and not all merchants take all credit card types.
- Don’t carry all your cards in the same place. You don’t want to risk losing all at once. Keep the extras in your hotel-room safe, or at least in a separate pocket.
- Use your debit card at ATMs when getting cash. And use ATMs you trust, such as those at financial institutions.
- Report a lost or stolen card immediately.
- To help protect yourself from pickpockets or purse snatchers when traveling in crowded, unfamiliar areas, keep your wallet in a zip-up pocket or pouch, and keep your purse zipped or latched and carry it close to your body.
Have a good trip, and be careful out there.
United Fidelity Bank
Visit the Carmel branch at Carmel City Center for all your banking needs. Located at 715 Hanover Place, Carmel, IN 46032. 317-993-3644.